Tuesday, June 11, 2013

CASL Blog Launch: Introduction and RailHawks Tickets

At CASL we are home to approximately 20,000 players, parents, coaches, referees, and volunteers. With so many people and so much going on, it  is important that we do our best to keep you updated on the latest information, news, stories, and updates in the organization. This blog will serve as a means to do just that.
Katharine Kelley

Introduction
My name is Katharine Kelley, and I am the new Director of Relations with CASL. I grew up here in Raleigh where I attended St. Timothy's/Hale High School (currently St. David's) through 10th grade then went on to Broughton High School where I graduated in 2002. From there, I went on to attend Furman University where I played women's soccer for four years. I found my way back to Raleigh after graduation and spent four years working for the Carolina Hurricanes/Kids 'N Community Foundation while completing my Master's degree at NC State. 

Youth soccer has changed a lot (for the better!) since I came through the system, but I am excited to come full circle with CASL having been a player and coach with the organization. I hope to get the chance to meet many of you at CASL events down the road - please stop me and introduce yourself if you ever see me out and about!

Some of my favorite CASL memories:
- Region III Champions at U15
- Representing North Carolina at Region III at U14, U15, U16, and U19
- Being inducted into the CASL Hall of Fame
- Any time we won State Cup
- Having a good game against HFC Quest in the Fall of 2001 because that's when I was recruited to play at Furman University
- Creating friendships that I still carry with me today


Carolina RailHawks - Purchase discount tickets to Wednesday's game against MLS Chivas USA!
CASL Tower at WakeMed Soccer Park
As many of you know, the Carolina RailHawks and CASL have created a partnership that allows CASL players and their families to attend RailHawks games for discounted prices and sit in the best seats in the house - the CASL Tower! I experienced my first game the other night. If any of you were there, you got to experience a thrilling finish to a soccer game - three goals in the last few minutes of the game and the game winner coming in stoppage time. Be sure get your tickets for the game on Wednesday when the RailHawks take on Chivas USA in a Round of 16 match up in the 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. If any of you are like me, you may not know what this is. I learned  that this is a 100 year old tournament that is open to all US Soccer Federation affiliated teams which includes teams from the North American Soccer League, like the RailHawks, and MLS teams. The competing 68 teams (of which 16 are left) are competing for prize money. The winner takes home $250,000, runner-up wins $60,000, and the team that advances the furthest from each lower division will receive $15,000. In addition to bragging rights, there's a lot at stake! The RailHawks will be looking to avenge last year's heartbreaking loss to Chivas on Wednesday. Tickets are selling fast, so take advantage of the opportunity to sit with friends in the CASL Tower. 

I look forward to staying in touch with you all. There will be many more posts to follow, but be sure to stay up to date with CASL through facebook, twitter (@caslnc), and our weekly CASL E-Newsletter - CASL Connection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment